If you are a member of the larger group of Americans that experience anxiety, you may be inclined to look for medications to help with the problem. And if your doctor feels that you need medication, he or she may suggest that you take antidepressants to treat your anxiety.
However, it is important to keep in mind that there are very few medications on the market that have good side effects. And if you take them regularly, you may even develop drug resistance to the medications you have been prescribed. So before you get into any discussion about using a medication, you should know that it will most likely be some time before you see significant improvements in your condition.
So what are some of the medications used to treat anxiety disorders? Here are some of the most commonly used:
- Benzodiazepines. These are widely used to treat anxiety. However, there are some side effects that are not so good. In fact, they can have the opposite effect and actually worsen the symptoms of anxiety.
- Malamute and Midazolam. Malamute is a benzodiazepine and is used to treat panic attacks. Midazolam is also a benzodiazepine and used to treat anxiety and to calm agitated patients.
- Tricyclic antidepressants. Tricyclic antidepressants can cause depression and suicidal thoughts in some patients. When used with other medications, tricyclics can cause interactions that are bad for your health. Try not to mix these medications. Be sure to discuss your concerns with your doctor before taking a new medication. They will also be able to tell you if there are safer medications that you can use to help treat your anxiety.
- SSRIs. This is a type of antidepressant that also works to calm anxious patients. They work in two ways. First, they are used to try to lower levels of the stress hormone in the body, and second, they act as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, which makes them less likely to cause a rebound effect where you feel anxious again soon after being treated.
- Tramadol and phenobarbital. In addition to helping to relieve some of the symptoms of anxiety, these two seizure medicines can be very effective in stopping seizures. If your anxiety becomes excessive, they can help you reduce your panic or anxiety attacks.
- Carbamazepine. This type of medicine is often used to treat children with severe forms of anxiety. It can be particularly helpful if used in combination with other drugs that are used to treat anxiety.
If your anxiety is extreme, there are alternative medicines that can help. These include herbal remedies, massage therapy, and even therapy and nutrition. Regardless of the options that you choose, however, it is important to remember that by starting with the right mindset, you can find the relief you need.